Astroturf or synthetic all weather pitches are now a common sports facility in the UK. There are many different surfacing companies in the UK who can carry out artificial sports pitch construction projects but we are specialist contractors in this sports sector.
Please contact us now if you’d like to find out more about the installation process for outdoor sports facilities. We have completed many of these projects throughout the UK so we’d be happy to answer any questions you may have about costs or designs.
Sports Pitch Construction Specifications
We have installed / been contracted to construct many different MUGA surfaces including 3G Astroturf and 2G sand filled facilities. These types of sports systems can normally be installed to suit most area sizes and dimensions and can be constructed to fit a variety of specifications, designs, budget requirements and sporting use. For example, although the installation work is different for every project we undertake, the sports pitch construction process usually follows a similar pattern:
- Foundations – The first stage of the sports pitch construction is to prepare the ground by digging down into the existing grass or soil to the required depth. Next, a geotextile membrane is put down to stop the growth of contaminations and weeds through the sports surface. A sub base will then be laid out, this is made up of a layer of angular stones which all fit with each other to create stability, porous macadam will then be applied on top of the stone. This sub base system is permeable to allow water to drain straight through it without building up and flooding the surface.
- Surfacing Installation – When the groundworks and sub base have been prepared and installed, the next part of the job is to install the surfacing itself onto the base. Synthetic grass sports pitch construction can be carried out with a variety of different surface specifications including 3G artificial turf, 2G sand filled surfacing and needlepunch fibre bonded turf. Each surface type lends itself to different sports so it’s important to decide what your primary sports are going to be so you can determine the best synthetic turf for your facility. The artificial surface options we install can be used for a number of sports including football, rugby, hockey and tennis. Line markings can be applied for all of these different sports options.
- Sports Facility Equipment – Once the synthetic sports pitch construction is complete and the surfacing is in place, we can also provide you with some extra sports pitch accessories to help you utilise the new facility to its full potential. These could include floodlighting columns, fencing in a range of heights, ball stop netting and maintenance equipment to keep the surfacing in top condition.
Synthetic Pitch Maintenance
Although artificial grass sports surfacing requires relatively little maintenance compared to the natural grass alternatives, it’s still very important to look after them properly. This will make sure that the facility is safe for use and provides the best playing characteristics for as long as possible. Some of the maintenance techniques which can be carried out include:
- Chemical moss and algae treatments to prevent contamination and compaction.
- Redistribution of sand and rubber infill through drag brushing.
- Deep cleaning to remove dirt and debris from within the grass fibres.
- Top up of infill particles to restore the natural performance qualities.
- Repairs to any minor damaged areas or ripped seams.
- Rejuvenation to extract dirty sand infill and replace it with a fresh clean layer.
- Full resurfacing project for pitches that are in very poor condition.
Regularly carrying out the proactive maintenance like drag brushing and removing debris can help prevent any damage to the surface of the sports pitch. If any damage does occur on the facility, it’s important to carry out the reactive repair maintenance as soon as possible to prevent the problem from getting worse. Lack of a proper maintenance plan can lead to problems like infill compaction, moss contamination and a lack of drainage which all cause flooding and surface damage.
best value prices
free quotes offered for all projects
We have undertaken many artificial sports pitch construction projects at locations all over the UK and we regularly carry out cleaning and maintenance to look after these facilities. If you would like to discuss a synthetic pitch surfacing enquiry with us, please fill in our contact form or visit https://www.sportsandsafetysurfaces.co.uk/where you can find details of all the products and services we provide, as well as case studies of our work. If you have any queries in regards to synthetic sports pitch construction or any other sports surface such as tennis courts and athletics tracks, we would be happy to offer you some helpful advice so don’t hesitate to contact us. Please share this post if you thought it was useful and don’t forget to leave us a comment with any questions you may have.